Since moving to Vista x64 I’ve had a heck of a time with Oracle clients. The one thing I could not get working until tonight was ODP with Visual Studio / .NET. Finally I found a solution.
First, download and install Oracle 11g ODAC and Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio. (Link requires registration) This should get the 32bit stuff installed. I’m still using an Oracle 10g R2 server. You will likely need to grab a copy of the TNSnames.ora for your existing client folder and place it in the appropriate tree of the 11g product home.
This however is not enough to get .NET working with ODP. Go to the folder where you extracted the zip. We need to find the Oracle.DataAccess.dll. This can be found in the file named filegroup4.jar, in the stage\components\oracle.ntoledb.odp_net_2. Winrar will open .jar files if needed. Extract the Oracle.DataAscess.dll file.
For now, I’ve put a copy of this file in my projects lib folder. I then added a reference directly to this file from all projects that need ODP access.
Keep in mind – before you ship you may want to remove this reference and ensure that the .DLL file doesn’t get included in your build. This should get your Vista x64 box developing with ODP.
To Oracle – come on guys. Give us some Vista x64 love!