So, finally I got fed up with working from a 32 bit XP virtual machine and spent a little more time on this issue. I’ve managed to get my Vista Ultimate a la x64 mostly working. Where I went wrong the last time (aside from trying to figure this out in the middle of the night in a shitty mood because I had spent so much time head banging with a wall) was using the 64 bit client.
The correct path to Oracle happiness in my case was the 11g client. It works great with my 10.2 server. The important bit in was to use the 32 bit install rather than the 64 bit install. One of my primary tools for accessing Oracle is Toad for Oracle 9.x. Quest Software states that Toad for Oracle 9.6 is the first version to really support the 11g client. However, it does NOT support the x64 client.
So the last time I tried to solve this, after a long day, and a fun night of head banging with a wall – when I tried the 11g client, I used x64 cbuild – and saw that Toad wouldn’t work, I threw a little hissyfit and went to bed. Long story short, installing both the 32bit 11g client and 11g ODAC/ODP seems to have done the trick. Now – there is one important little piece o’ information that you will need to know. Though I have not confirmed this, I suspect that x64 applications will not be able to use the driver.
That said, from a development point of view you will need to set IIS to run at 32 bit. On IIS 5.x/6.x this is a server wide setting from a dos window:
If you’re running Vista or Server 2008 with IIS7, you have things a little better. You can configure each application pool to run as 32 or 64 bit. For winform development, change the compile properties of the project to set the target platform to be x86.
I’m really glad that’s over…but I still want a proper x64 ODAC. Come on Oracle .. =)