I’m on the plane heading to Las Vegas. The time has come for another Autodesk University. Yay for my annual “vacation”. This trip is going to be packed full of meetings, classes, and World of Warcraft =). To all my devoted readers, I must apologize for the one month delay in posts. I’ll be working on getting everyone up to speed on what has been going on in the past month here. I hope to post once per day on cool and awesome things at AU. Hopefully there is something cool and awesome at least once per day.
I also have to add that bringing small children on airplanes is cruel, the US Airways coffee sucks, but the orange juice is great =)
Months ago, I started getting the “Attempted to read or write protected memory” error. In hindsight (as always) its all clear. In short, it seems .NET 3.5 SP1 and Remotesoft Protector v2.x do not play nicely resulting in this error. Either stop using Protector, or upgrade to the latest version.
In long – for a number of reasons there was not a strait line between upgrading my machine to SP1 and noticing the problem. This made diagnosing the problem significantly more complicated because I had no idea when it actually started. At the time, I was dealing with x64 and Oracle clients. This had prompted me to start doing all my dev in an XP virtual machine. Eventually, the slowless of developing in a VM drove me insane and I just had to get my machine working again. So I got Oracle dealt with – but that left this annoying error.
It was a complete fluke that I noticed this. The stars aligned, and I manually compiled some assemblies, instead of pushing the big green button on my build system. This resulted in my assemblies not being run through the Remotesoft Protector. All of a sudden the problem went away. At the time I had been using Protector 2.x which would not support .NET 3.5 SP1 fully. So, either stop using Protector, or upgrade to the latest version which resolves this problem =)