May 12, 2011

A new breed of scam – QuickResolve.Net

Filed under: General — Tags: , , — Darrin Maidlow @ 12:33 pm

Today I received an unsolicited phone call from a helpful Indian fellow named Karesh, sadly his number was blocked so I cannot share that with you =).  He informed me that there were "deadly junk files” on my computer, that were much worse than virii and trojans.  He really cared about the health of my PC.  He asked me to start the event viewer and showed me all the errors that were on my computer.  It was terrifying.

Finally, he informed me that given the age of my PC we needed to “register my license with Microsoft to receive ongoing security assistance from Microsoft Certified Technicians”.   He told me that “Microsoft provides two kinds of secure warranty.  hardware and software! “ I needed to reactivate this protection…For the low low price of 109$ / year or 388 for 4 years I could get my computer protected from junk files, virii, trojans, and terrorists.

Next step was a LogmeInRescue session.  At this time, I told my helpful friend Karesh that my PC had blue screened!  Oh no!  This bought me a little time to fire up a test virtual machine and Camtasia :).  Turns out now a Mr. Kevin Andersen would be helping me, with a trial LogMeIn account  :)  I wonder if they noticed that my Windows Vista had now all of a sudden become Windows XP?  hmmm doesn’t look like it.a new scam 1

This is where it got a little scary.  Well not scary for you or I, but for your grandmother or other computer illiterate person.   They started digging trough Windows for negative looking things.  First they started the Windows certificate store and they highlight a number of revoked by Microsoft.  They were even so kind as to highlight these problems!

a new scam 2At this point they brought me to the Quick Resolve website (quickresolve.net) where they were ready to help me enter all my information to pay the fee.  At this point, I asked to get four years of coverage.  Karesh became quite excited!  First I needed to see the “Junk Files” on my PC.  Mr. Kevin Andersen started the “Junk Files Viewer” (which you may know as the event viewer).  He applied some tricky filters and then BAM.  Errors and warnings.  Now your grandmother is probably scrambling to find her credit card…

I let Karesh talk for a bit more, ready to stop my VM – finally I had another “Blue Screen” and hung up.  Oops ,look I restored a snapshot…  Unfortunately the joke is on me..they’ve been calling back over and over and over.  <sigh>

At first, I went along for the ride because I figured it might be fun.  Soon I started to realize that this will be very  convincing to a lot of people, and I started to think that maybe I should write this up in hopes of letting the geeky masses know.  So please let the people in your lives who could benefit by knowing about this type of scam know that no one will ever call you at home out of the blue to help you remove junk files…

Here is the video of the LogMeIn session:

A new breed of scam?

Technorati Tags: ,

41 Comments »

1. Darrin. Thank you so much for publishing your experience. I think this particular bunch of scammers are shooting themselves in the foot. They seem to be over-doing things so much that lots of us who know a bit about these things are getting involved.

I have had 2 separate occasions where I was onsite helping people with computer problems, updates and training when this gang rang up my customers! I was able to extract a little information about them and shall pass it onto the police. However, the police cybercrime departments seem to be in the process of disappearing into the blue lamp (reference for older readers) and we can’t expect much to happen there.

By far and away the best thing is for us to spread the word on the Net as often and as clearly as possible. I’m also writing articles in magazines about it for small businesses and clubs.
    Any ideas as to what else to do?

Comment by UncleCharlie — May 28, 2011 @ 2:33 am

2. Hi UncleCharlie, thanks for comment! In the past couple of weeks a ton of people have told me they’ve received the same call. These guys are probably making a killing off the computer illiterate =[. As far as ideas – the only thing I could think of was to document my experience here and spam all my friends to get the word out.

As far as the police go, I’m not sure that they are really an option (at least here in Alberta) – these guys were sneaky but I’m not sure they were breaking any laws…

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — May 30, 2011 @ 9:32 am

3. I could have been a victim of this scam today – only for a bit of diligence and some preparation. The first call was from a gentleman explaining that he was calling from the ‘Help & Support Centre for Windows Operating System’. I pretended that I was slightly deaf asking him to spell things out so that I could write them down but his very thick Indian accent was difficult to understand anyway – although he did tell me that his name was ‘Andrew Smith’ [Yeah, right!!]. He confirmed that he was calling from ‘Quick Resolve’ in Manchester and that I could call him back on 0161 381 0003. When I asked him which part of Manchester he was in, he simply said that it was ‘Manchester, England’ and would I please switch my computer on so that we could check together whether my computer had been infected by ‘many malicious junk’! I explained that I could not do so right away so he agreed to call me back at 4.00pm [ thus giving me the opportunity to check them out and discover this blog - forearmed is forewarned!!].
    The interesting bit is when he phoned back – and I played along with everything until the bit when he asked me to open up Internet Explorer and type in a website address ( having checked ‘eventvwr’ in Run first and showing me almost 3,000 files listed in there which are all ‘malicious’ and ‘if you click on them they will multiply and spread right across your computer and break your computer’). At his request to open up Internet, I told him that I was not prepared to do so as I believed that this was a scam and his intention was to place malicious software onto my computer and then charge me money to remove or fix it. He got more and more angry especially when I said ‘Your name is NOT Andrew Smith is it ? You are not calling from Manchester are you? You are in India! This is a scam isn’t it! You are a liar!’ Eventually he hung up after telling me to ‘**** off’.
    The best bit then followed – my phone rang almost immediately and was answered by my wife and a ‘Nick Perkins’ – again with a heavy Indian accent – explained that he was the Managing Director of Quick Resolve and he wanted to speak with Mr Murray who had been abusive to his staff and had spoken with them using ‘sh*t languages’. He said that the call was being recorded and that Mr Murray should call him back straight away on 0161 381 8833 as he was ‘in big trouble’ and they had evidence that Mr Murray was nasty to his agents. When I was handed the phone, I politely told him that I had not been abusive and had certainly not sworn on the telephone. He assured me that it was being recorded and that it was being given to the FBI who would make sure that I got into ‘real big trouble’.
    I am not sure how I kept from bursting into laughter [quite clearly the FBI have no jurisdiction in the UK!!] but I did manage to tell him that I was entirely happy with the call being recorded and was looking forward to a visit from the FBI! He was completely flummoxed and hung up! When he calls back again – I will tell him that if he tells the FBI, I will tell the CIA….and then the SAS…..and then the KGB!!!! The sad thing is that they must be getting plenty of victims as they are obviously continuing to call lots of ‘less savvy’ people!! Surely something can be done to stop it!!

Comment by Paul Murray — July 15, 2011 @ 11:14 am

4. Wow Paul. I’m glad you didn’t fall for it. I especially like the bit about the manager calling you back and threatening you. Hilarious! =) Since I posted this I’ve heard from a ton of friends telling me how their parents or grand parents were duped. Some of them paid hundreds of dollars. I’m glad to hear you had the forethought to ask Google about these clowns and I’m especially pleased that my posting helped you. Thanks for commenting!

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — July 15, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

5. I had the same call as the gentlemen above on Saturday. They seemed genuine until they said that there offices were open Monday to Friday, so I asked why they were calling on Saturday morning – no answer. The first gentleman was called Karesh who put me onto Mike Williams Microsoft technician who then put me onto Steve the Senior technician to let me know and show me all my errors. His senior technician told me that the best solution for me was to purchase a 3 yearly subscription. I told him I did not hand details over the internet and do not buy anything over the internet. I then told him that I would check with the company I bought the computor from and see if I have a problem

Comment by Harry Timmons — September 4, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

6. Thanks for posting Harry. I’m completely shocked at how prolific this is. I had a client bring these guys up during a meeting yesterday morning. “You guys are computer guys, I had this phone call yesterday…” and I immediately knew who it was…

Any legal professionals out there able to weigh in on the legality of this operation?

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — September 7, 2011 @ 9:55 am

7. They got us too. My husband answered the phone and talked to these guys for a long time before he called me into the conversation. They are fast talkers with a heavy Indian accent so it is very hard to understand what they say. He let them into our computer. We did break the connection but I don’t know what to KEEP them out of our computer?

Comment by VickieC — December 15, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

8. Hi Vickie,

I’m sorry to hear they got you… When they were on my computer remotely they didn’t try to install anything. They tried to con me into thinking there were problems with my computer by showing me a bunch of BS, and then they loaded their website in the browser where they wanted me to singup for their “premium” service. It didn’t seem like they were trying to install any malicious software, though their tactics may have changed. The system they were using to connect to my machine was called LogMeIn Rescue – and I use it all the time to support my customers remotely – its a great product. The nice thing about it is that it runs – but does not install anything. Once you close the connection its done. It IS possible to setup long term access using LogMeIn Rescue – but this is easy to end. If you see anything running on your taskbar that says LogMeIn you could probably contact LogMeIn (www.logmeinrescue.com) support and let them know what has happened – I’m sure they would be happy to help you remove the remote access. I’ve read that LogMeIn is just one application of many that they use though and I cannot speak to the others.

About the best I can suggest is to make sure you have a reputable anti-virus app running on your machine and its up to date. AVG offers a free one that I recommend to my friends and family. If you’re concerned you could also take your computer in for service and explain the situation – but that would probably cost you a few bucks.

hope that helps!

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — December 15, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

9. Same story but this time I got a phone number (I live in Switzerland)

Comment by Eric — February 21, 2012 @ 9:37 am

10. Hi all, well it’s august 2012 (I see the original post was in 2011) and these “people” are still at it. a good friend of mine, who I have tried to “eductate” about IT and emails and the web etc…got done.

Stsrts with the usual… blah blah, windows, errors, slow pc… so starts the fear
    “Please let me have remote access”, then they seemed to install Google Chrome
    (not sure why, maybe it has a security issue?) then they install the “useful software” This then leaves you with a “startup password” dialog box when you boot the pc.

Fix… (maybe… I have to recheck it today)
    Pulled the cable from the router!!!
    Booted in safe mode (F5 or F8 one of them – can’t remember at the moment), same dialog box.
    Kept doing this until windows offered to boot into repair mode (yes please)
    deleted any newfolders and dodgy looking files
    turned of any remote access services
    used system restore to back up a few days
    ran a virus scanner – clean

Notes
    It seems that the Google Chrome install files were there but the browser wasn’t installed? or nmaybe it was deleted after the intrusion?
    browser history points to rescue-list.3.logmein-gateway.com

They didn’t get any money as either their payment process is crap, or my friend’s bank system is super. BTW she then realised her silly errors are rang her bank, they had to cancell a load of her stuff.

Despite me telling her to “always call me first” for any IT issues she fell into this trap.

regards

Keith

(I need a shotgun for these scumbags!)

Comment by keith — August 16, 2012 @ 2:47 am

11. Thanks for sharing Keith. I’m glad they didn’t get any of your friends money – though it sounds like they had to cancel a bunch of her cards and what not… Given the amount of media attention this scam has received I’m shocked these guys are still operating. I guess there will always be someone gullible and given the proliferation of PCs these days that pool is pretty big. Glad to hear they didn’t get your money. One of the things that bugs me is their use of Log Me In Rescue. LMI is a legitimate business who offer an incredibly useful support tool. I use it all the time to support our clients and even just to administer my own machines.

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — August 16, 2012 @ 9:16 am

12. just had this Indian guy on saying he was from PC visit who was calling me to tell me about Malicious Junk Files and how they can by pass all Anti-virus programs etc and infect my computer. I asked how he made money and he said he was not after any but if the machine was infected he could refer me to one of the Microsoft certified technicians. i asked if they charged to which he said only if there were problems. I am not in any way a techy on PC’s but I am not stupid. Anyway he talked me through how I could find out, i.e. right click my computer, click on manage, event viewer etc until a page appeared with over 8000 errors or warnings..surprise, surprise. Don’t get me wrong I know next to nothing on the technical side of PC’s and this page does look really alarming but of course then he said that he would put me in contact with one of the Microsoft certified technicians, at which point I stopped him and said i would get someone to look at this. He of course remonstrated that only the MCT’s could do the fix, to which point I said how can they fix apple machines then? I said if I couldn’t get it fixed i would come back to them and asked for the website ‘online pc wizards.com’ I am sure I will receive a follow up call..Don’t know if these files have damaged my pc but i do know that these are scammers..
    Hope this helps.

Andy

Comment by Andy — August 24, 2012 @ 6:36 am

13. Thanks for sharing Andy. I’m glad they didn’t get your money. It’s unfortunately a great tactic they have looking in the Windows event log and using legitimate (albeit for most part irrelevant) errors created by Windows to scare people. It would be very convincing for someone who is not familiar with all the techo-jargon within the guts of Windows!

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — August 24, 2012 @ 11:02 am

14. I’m afraid i’m one of the gullible ones! i paid for the continued cover and then the next day was called back and persuaded to give access to my laptop. ( i cant believe i did that) luckily i watched what was happening and they were taking money from me and sending it to India via Western Union. I realised what was happening and immediately cancelled my card, but not before they’d taken another £120. I’ve since rec’d many similar calls!

Comment by yvonne — September 8, 2012 @ 8:22 am

15. Sorry they got you Yvonne :( Best thing you can do now in my opinion is to just try and spread the word. Tell your friends, family, co-workers about your experience. I’m still hearing from people all around about receiving these calls. These scammers are still tricking people and taking their money. This post gets a lot of traffic – hopefully its doing some good.

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — September 9, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

16. Well they got me last Friday Sept 21st. Very early in the morning , was just getting around for the day. When they said Microsoft, and that there was a world wide virus, I thought there was another virus, like the worm so paid attention and went to my computer and did what they said. WHen they asked for money, I was hesitant , but thought well they did spend more than and hour with me. What I need to know, was my computer cleared of virus? Doesn’t seem they stole anything other than the charge to my Visa. I did notice a Malware that seemed to be new. I had been using the free one, is that how I was selected?

Comment by C.J> — September 24, 2012 @ 10:33 am

17. I’m sorry they got you C.J… First thing I suggest is to contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. Tell them these guys have tricked you – maybe even point them to my blog post. You might be able to get your money back.

I cannot speak to what they did on your machine (unless of course you recorded a video of it) but from my experience they didn’t do anything helpful or harmful – but I didn’t pay and let them install anything – so they may have installed something nasty on your machine. Granted they contacted me quite some time ago and their “services” may have changed since then. When they came onto my fake system they tried to scare me using legitimate and irrelevant errors logged by Windows. If they did install something I would take your PC into a repair guy and have him check it out. At the very least I would install a copy of a free anti-virus package (ie. AVG free). Make sure its virus definitions are up to date and do a scan. If you have any problems installing the anti-virus software take your computer into a legitimate service place.

I would suggest you do not use your computer for anything sensitive like online shopping, banking, or even logging into accounts like facebook etc until you’ve got a clean bill of health from anti-virus or a PC service tech you trust.

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — September 24, 2012 @ 11:18 am

18. Hi, They are still at it. I have just spent 20 mins being suckered into opening things up and seeing my errors. Fortunatly my ex is in computers so I said I was unwilling to carry on until I had checked with him. They then got really insistant saying that the error infections will spread by the time he could contact them and infect my whole computer. Then got irate and started berating me for not being able to understand the importance of sorting the problem NOW. I hung up n googled for a scam…

Comment by Rachel Knox — November 30, 2012 @ 7:00 am

19. Oh yes, I asked for a number to call they said Dennis 08082348670

Comment by Rachel Knox — November 30, 2012 @ 7:08 am

20. I’m glad they didn’t get you Rachel. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — November 30, 2012 @ 10:13 am

21. I just got a call 10 min. ago, from guy with a heavy indian accent. Claimed he was from Microsoft tech support. I knew from the start that something was wrong, but i played along, though for my part, I was talking primarily danish. Just to get time to find this website. You saved me there.

Comment by Benjamin Bisgaard — January 2, 2013 @ 5:33 am

22. got a call from them that I was scammed by a company and was going to be refunded my money thru western union. My gut feeling was to hang up but the refund would be nice. I asked a thousand questions. then they wanted to provide me with 3 months of services and I said NO. that ended the phone call. I notified that there was no money to be taken out of my acct from western union only a deposit.

then later I got an email from western unio and they said they made a business decision to not process the transaction. Bless their hearts!

Comment by judy folsom — January 22, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

23. I’m very glad you had a happy ending Judy. Its saddening that months later this post gets so much traffic though I’m encouraged that most of you have not been ripped off.

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — January 22, 2013 @ 1:40 pm

24. I think I got the same scam phone call from Online PC Wizards and they went through event viewer and told me that if I have more than 1000 errors, my computer is in trouble. I did see the LogMeIn screen where someone was doing something but I clicked to diable remote access. I looked up their website and it looks legit but the guy on the phone kept convincing me to buy a three month subscription. I kept telling him how I wanted to discuss this further with other people but he kept insisting. Finally, I made a fake promise to call back but did not. And now I found this website with all these comments and am glad I was smart to hang up.
    What can I do to check that these scammens did not do anything harmful to my laptop? I have Hewlett Packard Windows XP. I am not very strong on the technical side so “Camtasia” and “Virtual Machine” are new concepts. Any suggestions?

Comment by Yura Ksenidi — February 2, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

25. Hi yura, thanks for sharing your experience. It’s very hard to say if they installed any sort of malicious software on your computer. Your best bet would be to install a free antivirus scanner like AVG and make sure its up to date. Camtasia is the software I used to record the video of what the quick resolve scammer was doing. Virtual machines are like – pretend computers. You can run a copy of windows inside a program. This way – he was not able to actually damage my computer – he was messing around in a “virtual computer”.

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — February 2, 2013 @ 9:35 pm

26. Good one!

I keep getting these calls too, and have told them in no uncertain terms to take me off the list. But they keep calling. One guy said that they would take me off the list, but the charge is $50! Do they really believe I’ll send them any money if they call back? Honestly, just how stupid are they?

Are these legit companies in the middle (logmein.com)? Are they aware of what’s going on? Can they shut them down?

They are using VOIP from India. Could the connection be traced with netstat -a, and get the IP?

Complain to the ISP hosting the scammers? But when the scammers pay the ISP money, the loyalty is to the money.

I think I’m going to finally get the hardware from Dastalk.ca. You program it so the phone never answers these calls.

Perhaps they will call someone from the anonymous group! :)

Comment by Rodger — February 19, 2013 @ 12:26 pm

27. Thanks for sharing your experiences Rodger. Logmein (LMI) is a legit company. We use them almost daily during our day to day operations at ChasmX. They provide the best remote control service I’ve found to date. The worst part is these guys are abusing the free 30 day evaluation system. I believe you can see in my video recording that LMI says its an eval. I’m sure that if they started using paid accounts they would go out of business pretty quick. That and LMI could and probably would cut them off.

Even if you could trace the VOIP connection I think you hit the nail on the head. They’re likely paying for that service and I’m sure their provider cares more about their own bottom line than they do the morality of their customer. Again – I don’t think what they’re doing is illegal. Unless their MO has changed since my encounter with them. Please let me know how you make out with Dastalk. I’d love to hear about it.

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — February 19, 2013 @ 12:58 pm

28. Today 31-03-2013 i got called by someone from Microsoft and he said my computer was infected by malicious junk files. These files would duplicate themself and my computer would be come unstable and slow. I said i work with computers for 9 years now and i would know it if my computer was infected or not. He asked me if i was a certified engineer because this problem doesn’t show up on any virusscanner and some other things to convince me. Then he asked me my
    MS-certificate number or something so i asked can you tell me my procuct id.( he couldn’t ) He asked me to go to start and go to run+cmd then type the following: assoc . Then he said your ID is the second from the bottom of that list and he started to read up my key to convince me. During the call about 12 mins now i started google and found this site and said i had visitors and i would call microsoft in an hour or so. Then he replyed that i didnt have enough time and the virus or whatever would spread. I said i allready shutdown my computer and hang up.
    I checked my other pc on that CLSID and its the same on every computer so thats how they want to win your trust.

Sorry if my english isn’t the best. Greetings from Robin Netherlands

Comment by Robin H — March 30, 2013 @ 8:10 am

29. We have been getting these calls every few weeks or so, but fortunately for my husband and me, we know it’s a scam. Today I received a call (caller ID on my phone was from Tennessee 403-008-1000) from a man with an Indian accent who identified himself as “Harry Mason” from “PC Visit” in Las Vegas, NV. I asked for his phone number and he provided me with 1-800-878-2302. When the calls come, I’ll hand the phone to my husband who is PC savvy and will string him along, pretending to follow his various directives, as you sampled in your original post, and try his best just to aggravate the guy. Recently, I pretended to be very concerned about my PC and asked him to hold. He held for over 20 minutes while I busied myself with reading my novel. That’s 20 minutes less time that he has to try to scam someone else!

Comment by Irene — April 29, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

30. Glad to hear they didn’t get you Irene. Especially glad to hear that you (and hopefully many others) are wasting as much of their time as possible :)

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — April 29, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

31. I am sorry to say they got me for a $99 6 month service scam. The day befor I got the call from a NY number I received a call from a person doing a survey. I answered many questions for her, the survey was related to madia and intertainment. I am not sure the two are connected but suspect. I didn’t give out any personal info but near the end as is most always the case the person asked about household income. I will not particapate in another survey. I believe that legitament surveys serve a purpose but after this will never again do a phone survey.
    Person with heavy asian accent difficult to understand telling me there are problems with my computer which was causing problems with the system. I was instructed to go to my computer and he instructed me to enter a few key strokes after which he had control of my computer the screen was filled with red alerts and
    and caution notices, he instruucted me to right click and delete one of the caution/danger alarms but the delete option was not there, there where over three thousand alarms and corrupted files he informed me. and so he would need to have a tech remove them. There would be a service charge for this of $29.99 I agreed and told him I would pay by check. He could not take a check and so gave him my AMX info after he had the AMX info he then informed me he could not accept an AMX card and wanted another at which time I objected, Then his boss told him that he could accept an AMX card If I agreed to a service agreement. At this time they had complete control of my computer and I felt very vunerable. I have had to cancel my card and am being issued a new one and am disputing the charges.

Comment by dan epplett — July 31, 2013 @ 11:09 am

32. FYI, I wanted to let you know that the scam lives. ‘Got my first call a little while ago from “Microsoft Technical Support” (Caller id info: (425) 668-9652 WASHINGTON CALL). Guy with a heavy south asian accent told me that my computer had been sending reports about heavy non-virus use of the internet and they wanted to help me get rid of it. I told him that I was not aware of any reports, but he said that these reports are sent without my knowlege. If I went to my computer he would show me the damage and then help get it cleaned up. I told him that I had up to date anti-virus and malware protection and he said that the problems I have are caused by things that are not discovered by software. I told him to just send me an email instructions and I would take care of it as I am extremely tech savvy. He insisted that I go to my computer. I knew it was scam but I decided to play along up to the point of doing anything that would interact with the internet or hurt my computer. He asked me to ctrl and the Windows key. I flustered him a bit when I told him I don’t have a Windows key (I am still using my Northgate keyboard). That flustered him. He then told me to hit the Start button and type inf into the search box. He was expecting that to bring up every inf file, but it brought up a categorized listing and then the phone went dead. I am waiting for my follow-up calls. I’ll just be hanging up from now on.

Comment by Tom Scott — September 2, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

33. Thanks Tom. Thanks for sharing your experience. Please let us know what happens when they call back. If you have access to a virtual machine let em go in it and see what they do. Its entertaining :) I have a sad feeling these guys are making a LOT of money doing this…

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — September 2, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

34. Ahh that sucks Dan. Hope you got your money back. :(

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — September 2, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

35. I hate these scammers, they must make a fortune from older people or those not computer savvy. I am definitely not computer savvy but I have no computers registered in my phone address name so realised it was a scam at the first of dozens of these calls…. I usually play games with cold callers. Like the woman from India asking the make of my TV… I said it was a Patented Aetherial Cathodizer ( I write steampunk novels ) She went to look that up…came back a few minutes later and asked for the age of the TV. When I said 1874, she went to look that up too.
    With the Microsoft spammers, I just get angry with them….

Comment by Raven Dane — September 5, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

36. haha thanks for sharing Raven :)

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — September 6, 2013 @ 6:44 am

37. I got this same call today. He insisted over and over I had this problem. I finally asked for a number and called back to let them know I do not have a Windows operating system. The woman explained he must have dialed my number by mistake. Shubh Impex is the name of the company they gave me. When I googled that name, it comes up as a Hookah pipe manufacturer and exporter.

Comment by Heidi — September 14, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

38. This company is still alive and well. I got sucked in today (Dec 8, 2013). My concern is what they have access to on my computer as I went along with the whole deal. I am hoping they were just wanting the money for their “fabulous service”. I can dispute the money and even consider it a lesson learned, but will really be upset if they can still access my files. What do you think?

Comment by Becky Griep — December 9, 2013 @ 10:54 pm

39. Thanks for sharing Becky. Do you remember how they accessed your machine? If they were still using LogMeIn rescue you should be able to easily tell if they still have remote access. Log me in is a 3rd party and they’re a reputable vendor – we use them ourselves at ChasmX for remote access to our clients site. This link will show you how to revoke unattended access via log me in:

Hope everything works out for you!

Comment by Darrin Maidlow — February 19, 2014 @ 1:46 pm

40. ALL!!! VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE!!! A TACTICAL CHANGE!!! Dec 2013 my wife got scammed out of $100. Everything seemed to check out when I performed checks. Feb 2014, she starts getting calls from them again stating, “They had to refund our money due to a class action lawsuit.” They wanted a credit card. She made it clear only a check would be allowed. They said they could do a direct deposit into our bank account. We did not allow that. End of conversation? No. They continued to call back every so often saying they had to legally refund our $100. She continued to request a check. Unfortunately, she gave in and let them back into our system today AND (sigh..) logged in to our bank account. Once they had this access, they then told her to pay them $850 or they would delete all our files. She called me on her cell. I had her disconnect all power to our network, but they had changed our login password. Yes, this was extreemly stupid, but they persisted, she broke down.

Comment by Todd — April 11, 2014 @ 2:49 pm